Thursday, August 28, 2008

When Good Soaps Go Bad




I've been trying to make a successful batch of soap now for about a month. The picture above illustrates all of my failed attempts. The brown soap (hazelnut cappuccino) failed because I put way too much pigment in it. Thus, brown coloring gets all over me and my tub when I use it. The yellow soap was my lesson in using too much fragrance oil (my apartment STILL smells like bananas, two weeks after I made it!). The pink soap (birthday cake) was my most successful batch to date, but the loaf mold that I bought on ebay really isn't made for melt and pour soaps, despite what the seller said. With all of these batches, the soap leaked out of the bottom of the mold. Taping the bottom and side seams didn't work to prevent leakage. I lost about half of the soap from each batch, and the remaining soap only yielded a few bars. Not to mention the bright yellow blobs of soap that ended up on my white carpet. Thank God it was just soap - it lathered up when I scrubbed it with a wet paper towel and lots of water so it didn't stain the carpet. So I've got all of these soaps to use on myself. On the plus side, I've finally gotten the ratio of color and fragrance worked out. I've now purchased a tray mold, which works better with melt and pour soap. So in the very near future I can add my first soap to my Etsy shop. Does anyone else have any soap-making horror stories?

0 comments: