Sunday, August 31, 2008

Taking Pleasure in Simple Things




My mother found this book recently when she was packing up her house to move. It dates from 1965, and since I was born, er, shortly thereafter, I can only surmise that this was one of my very first books ever. I have no recollection of it at all, but the worn-out spine and the paint stains on the inside front cover attest to the fact that it must have been read a lot. The little girl protagonist has red hair, just like me! - which I'm sure is why whoever bought it for me bought it for me.

The little red-haired girl finds happiness in the everyday things in her life, like swinging on a tree swing or raking leaves on a crisp autumn day. Forty-three years later, she still serves to remind us to take pleasure in the simple things in life. So go ahead. Put a few drops of lavender oil in your bath water and soak for an hour. Have that little piece of chocolate. Do whatever makes you happy. But most of all, just relax.






I'm out of work right now, and with the lack of responses to the resumes I'm sending out, I'm getting a little worried. But I'm going to follow the advice on page 16 of The Happy Book and buy some tulips, my favorite flower.

0 comments: